Below are some tips for becoming familiar with mindfulness practices.
- Be aware of your body as you awaken in the morning. Notice the various sensations – your heartbeat, breathing or points of contact with body and bed. Also, notice your thoughts. Where is your mind upon awakening?
- Notice all the sensations involved in your morning activities such as brushing your teeth, showering, or eating breakfast.
- One or two days a week, drive to and from work without listening to music or the radio.
- Before you pick up the phone to answer it or make a call, take a brief pause and connect with your body and breathing.
- When waiting in line at the grocery store, pay attention to the bodily sensations required when standing. Connect with your breathing.
- Before a meeting, take a moment to connect with your body and breath. Connect with any sensation you may be experiencing at that moment.
- When walking, notice your body moving and become aware of any sensations. When walking outside, notice the sensation of the wind, air, rain, sounds, birdcalls, rustling, etc.
- When you arrive at your destination, take a moment before getting out of the car, train, bus or plane and connect with your body and breath.
- Choose a couple of meals or snacks each week and be fully present. No talking, reading or television. Stay completely present for the meal, paying attention to the sensation, taste and texture of the food you are eating.